Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Fhil the Christmas Elf !

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Fhil the Christmas Elf !

How are your Christmas projects coming along? I’ve been working on the last of the Christmas pieces to go to the gallery. I just have a fun Santa to make and then my time is my own.

I volunteer at the gallery every Friday morning, and that’s really fun because I get to see all the wonderful work the other artisans do and get some inspiration for my own. After the Santa is done, I plan to start working on a collection of doll designs by Becky Holloway, based on The Nutcracker. I’ve loved that story since childhood, and since learning how to make dolls, I’ve wanted a collection of the main characters to display for Christmas.

Without any further delay, I present to you, Fhil the Christmas Elf. This is from a class with Diane Zammito. I don’t know if she’s teaching or designing anymore because this class was from quite a long time ago, but she does still have a website for some of her designs/kits and extras. Click HERE.

Fhil is such a cute elf and the technique of using an Altoid tin box for the trunk of his body is brilliant. Here you go. I purchased the faces from Diane but had to paint the facial details on.

A little about his costume. Instead of sewing the sleeves like the original doll, I used the top half of a pair of kids socks. They are Christmas themed and seemed just right. There is a glittery polka dot ribbon used throughout to co-ordinate with the sleeves. The hat and trousers are a stretch velvet. The leggings are cut from a stretchy head band from the $ store.

Although you can’t see much in the pictures, his hair is orange/yellow. His shoes are made with soft leather. Because his tin is so full of toys and such, I kept the embellishments on his costume down to a dull roar or that would be all you would see of him. In the instructions, Diane has painted the hands a flesh tone, but I kept them white to give the appearance of gloves.

fhil01sm

fhil02smfhil03smfhil05sm

So many options for filling his toy box. There’s everything from Christmas bulbs to snowmen, skateboards and even a miniature gingerbread cookie cutter. Even a block with the letter F to help remember his name. ;o) There is a little elf sitting on a peanut in his lap to finish off.

fhil06sm

For the tips of his shoes, I used what I think are called end caps for jewelry making. Not sure about the name but they look kind of cool, like he does have a bit of hip and swagger and finally the wood stump has become one of my go to bases for some of my dolls. It comes from our wood pile and gives a fun and natural look to those dolls that need a little prim touch. Enjoy…..

fhil07sm

No comments:

Post a Comment