Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Gracelynn Mist

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Gracelynn Mist

My mixed media fairy is done. I am so pleased with how she turned out. Restraint was the operative word with what I added to the finished piece, it would have been easy to keep adding and adding, but in the end it would have lost it’s original appeal and looked like a jumbled mess. There is a lot of activity in the piece with the stippled garden theme, so really wasn’t necessary to add much.

For this doll, I made a name tag that is part of the final look. It has her name and information about her. I bound the edge with knitting ribbon and added a few bits and pieces of gold metal and a pretty rose cabochon I received as a freebie with an order, and as fate would have it, works perfectly with this. At the top of the tag is a bee. What garden is complete without a bee or two.

book15sm

At the front is a tassel that drapes along the spine of the book. I added the same kind of dangle as the name tag, but this one is purple. A few beads strung on, and although it doesn’t show, there is a moon, a sun and some stars stitched the woven piece of the tassel. You need all those elements for things to grow. ;o)

book19sm 

In this picture you can see a letter F added just to signify a fairy resides here. A piece of scroll work on the opposite side, both painted with colours that tie them to the fairy. in this picture and the one above you can see some paper butterflies and flowers tucked in here and there, a dragonfly at the top of the tassel where it hangs over the edge of the book.

book21sm

A view from the side shows you a better angle of how this is put together. I love this piece so much. Some things we do really are a labour of love aren’t they.

book20sm

And here you can see Gracelynn Mist busy reading. What is she reading, a cookbook of course. She is finding out how to make a lemon sponge cake, her expression says to me… “of course, that’s it”…

book22sm

book23sm

And from the back you can how the name tag became part of the doll art piece. Thank you for spending time here watching me bring this together. I hope you enjoyed each step as I brought Gracelynn Mist to life (so to speak).

Even though mixed media isn’t what I do so much, there are a few things I shared with you that maybe will help you somehow along the way. If you enjoyed watching the books being altered, do go to YouTube and search for altered books, you really will be inspired by the artists who have shared their videos.

Back soon, have a great week.

book24sm

5 comments:

  1. I knew she'd be fabulous and she is! Wonderful job Romona, love the addition of the tag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew she'd be fabulous and she is! Wonderful job Romona, love the addition of the tag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your details. Wonderful fairy!
    Thank you for sharing each step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always blow me away every time. What an amazing creation.

    ReplyDelete